Our client has now installed the restored window into a very old building that she has turned into a wonderful workshop and studio. The location is NE of Halkirk, Alberta and her company’s name is Woolgathering.
Congratulations to Carmen, who persevered to take an old run down building and turn it into a very warm and welcoming studio for her business.
Here are 3 pictures, one of the building as was, then the redone interior along with the restored came window now installed back into the 1910 building.
This very old came window measured 20 x 16 inches. At some point in its history someone used a glue gun to seal the came lines on both sides of the glass. (Refer to the third picture below to view). We had to take much care in slowly removing this glue, pulling gently with pliers and/or fingers all the while using an X-ACTO knife blade # 11 to slowly cut the glue away from the glass.
One had to be extra careful to ensure that counteracting forces would not cause the glass to crack or break, especially the smaller curved pieces on the top portion of the window.
The next picture shows the window restored and replaced into it’s very old wooden frame, which was in very good condition given its age. Our client is putting this window back into a 1910 building, that is in good condition, which she is going to use as a studio.
Our client wanted us to somehow preserve the pink paint which was an interesting task as the glue tended to want to lift it off the window frame while we removed the glue. In addition she wanted the wooden molding holding the window in its frame, to be preserved as well.
The next picture shows the window with the glue on the various seams. This further created more glue removal problems as the thickness of the glue on both sides of the window, made removal even more difficult due to the uneven surfaces.
The restoration work requires photographing the window a number of times to ensure that the glass pieces return to their original place.
This was the condition of this oval Rose panel when we received it and we were asked if could restore it and we said sure, as we always like a challenge. The completed panel is the last picture in this post.
In the following picture we did our best to place as many of the broken pieces of Glue Chip in their original location. We then numbered each piece and proceeded to do a rub of the panel.
The following picture is of the rub, we also had to figure out the width and height of the panel and then using our Glass Eye 2000 software made a perfect oval using those measurements. We then pasted that oval over the rub after measuring numerous times to obtain the center of the oval. We simply put the oval pattern together then cut out the center to reveal the rose panel rub. Effectively that gave us a near perfect oval for the panel restoration.
The majority of the background frosted Glue Chip glass pieces were broken and had to be replaced, along with the rose stem, numerous leaves and a number of the rose petals. We were able to match the leaves but no iridescent pink glass was available as Oceanside who bought out Spectrum has yet to make any colored iridescent glass.
After soldering and black patina applied, we then attached a U Channel 1/2 zinc frame around the oval after bending it with a came bender. Holes were drilled in the came with rings inserted and chain attached for hanging. Finally the panel was polished using Clarity Stained Glass Polish. One of the key requirements when putting a zinc frame on a panel is to ensure that all solder lines are attached to the zinc came on both the front and back of the panel to ensure strength and panel longevity.
Original Design Artist Unknown
This restoration was done for a family whose mother’s name was Iris. They had obtained this beautiful Iris panel a number of years ago to honor her. Unfortunately the original stained glass artist had not made a secure enough frame and the panel eventually fell and was broken. The panel measured approximately 21.5 inches high by 23.5 inches wide.
After completing the restoration we surrounded the panel with 1/2 inch zinc came, complete with hanging rings and chain.
The next photo shows the broken panel. We overlaid the broken panel with white freezer paper and then did a rub to obtain a pattern to work from for the restoration.
Original artist unknown
In mid 2021 a client in the west county of Alberta had a idea for a stained glass panel for his wife. The second photo shows the conceptual idea. Using our Glass Eye 2000 – Dragonfly software program we created the panel design, along with input from our client and picking the glass that we used.
The panel measures approximately 12 inches wide by 18 inches high. We used a combination of Oceanside, Sky Blue Wispy, Orange White Wispy, Cherry Red Rough Rolled/Waterglass, Rainforest, and an older piece of Spectrum Green that we had in our inventory. The panel was framed with 1/2 Zinc came.
The second picture is of our clients original design concept.
The next photo is of the design pattern.
This last photo was taken by our client with sunlight reflecting the panels colors on their stove top.
Conceptual design by our client – processed through Glass Eye 2000 software by Bob & Flory Wilkins